The Do’s & Don’ts of Taking Care of Your New Ceramic Coating
After your car has been ceramic coated, the most important step to ensure longevity is maintenance. Since we use Feynlab Ceramics, we recommend products that are compatible with every coating. All of the products we recommend are sold at our location.
Just a recap: What’s a ceramic coating?
Ceramic coating is a chemical polymer composed of silicon dioxide solutions applied onto the car’s exterior for protection. When applied, the ceramic coating bonds with the paint, creating an added layer of protection. It also gives your car a noticeable shine.
Why should I wash my ceramic coated car?
Thanks to the hydrophobic nature of ceramics, you no longer have to spend hours trying to scrub the dirt off your car. The coating on your vehicle will make your cleaning process much easier. You can remove the liquid-based dirt, grime, and other contaminants off your car’s exterior without any hassle. You still have to wash your car regularly, period! In fact, to maintain it better, you need to remove the contaminants off your car’s exterior as soon as possible.
What Products We Use
Links to each product and directions are included.
The first product we recommend is the Feynlab Pure Wash. Pure Wash is what we use every day at CoaterZ to ensure an optimal clean. Feynlab’s Intelligent Cleaning Technology allows the soap to mechanically latch onto contamination particles for ease of removal while also simultaneously chemically breaking them down. Along with deeply cleaned surfaces, Pure Wash also maintains the optimal sheeting and self cleaning characteristics of any coated vehicle.
- Place the vehicle in a well lit, cool, contamination free environment out of direct sunlight.
- Thoroughly Rinse vehicle of all loose dust and topical contamination.
- Apply a generous amount to vehicle surfaces via foam cannon, foaming trigger bottle, or foamy wash mitt.
- Using a gentle wash mitt, gently and thoroughly clean the vehicle from top to bottom.
- Remember to clean the wash mitt after every 2-3 sections.
- If using one wash mitt, it’s advised to wash the lower 1/3 of the vehicle last, since the heaviest contaminants collect here.
- Rinse the vehicle thoroughly, from top to bottom, removing all excess PURE WASH from the surface.
- Dry vehicle with absorbent Microfiber towels, using compressed air or an air blower for surfaces, crevices, or badges.
Another product we recommend for washing is the Feynlab Pure Rinseless. Rinseless was designed for regular maintenance washing of all automotive exterior vehicle surfaces– coated and non-coated. This helps to maintain optimal sheeting and self-cleaning properties of all ceramic coatings by employing the same truly intelligent cleaning technology as Feynlab Pure Wash.
Best to work on a few (2-3) medium sized panels at a time, especially if in heat or direct sun:
- Add water to a bucket. For every gallon (3.75L) of Water (Distilled or DI water is best) – Add 1/2oz (15ml) of PURE RINSELESS concentrate. A (3) gallon (15L) bucket of water would require 1.5oz (45ml) of PURE RINSELESS.
- Pre-soak (spray) panels for immediate washing with solution to encapsulate all dirt and contamination particles.
- Dunk a dedicated wash mitt into the bucket and then gently agitate and ‘wash’ a designated section.
- Immediately dry panel, using a plush gentle microfiber drying towel after washing.
If you are looking for something quick and easy then the Feynlab Detailer V3 is what you want. Detailer contains water-based polymeric cleaning agents which cling to light layers of dust and contaminants, removing them thoroughly. This is an excellent spot cleaner or drying aid after washing vehicle surfaces and it adds a durable layer of significant hydrophobic & ‘self cleaning’ properties and additional gloss to vehicle exterior surfaces.
- Shake the bottle WELL before and during use.
- Using a clean microfiber towel, apply DETAILER V3 to the towel. Initially Prime a new towel with 2-4 sprays.
- For each section apply 1-2 additional sprays to the towel. For this purpose, a section is considered to be about the size of half a door or the quarter of a hood.
- Spread DETAILER V3 evenly over the surface. The amount of product should be enough to evenly coat the area without over saturation.
- After applying, immediately wipe the area clear with another clean microfiber towel, or flip towel to the dry side and gently wipe clear.
- * To use as a Drying Aid: Thoroughly wash the vehicle and rinse clean. Spray DETAILER either directly onto the panel or onto the drying towel and wipe the surface dry. Drying and protecting in one step!
Avoid any harsh chemicals and wax cleaners as they can adversely affect the ceramic coating. We also caution you to stay away from drive-in car washes and try to wash your car by hand. Abrasive brushes can damage not only your ceramic coating but the paint underneath as well. Some automatic car washes use harsh chemicals and unclean equipment. The harsh chemicals can deteriorate the life of your coating. At CoaterZ we have a team of detailers who will gladly clean your vehicle if you are not feeling up to it. To schedule a clean or buy Feynlab products give us a call and let us know how we can help.