A car ceramic coating in Tampa Bay is like an additional layer of protection for your car. It helps keep your vehicle looking nice and shiny for a while. But, how long it lasts depends on different things, like the type you choose and how you take care of it. In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you should know: how long does ceramic coating last, when it starts to fade, why it might wear out quicker, and tricks to make it last longer!
Ceramic coating lasts around two to five years. Sometimes, it can even stay on for up to ten years, but that’s uncommon. Yet, many things can make it not last as long as you thought and you might need to get a new one earlier.
Why Consider Ceramic Coating
Ceramic coating offers several fantastic advantages for your car. Firstly, it shields your car from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Yes, the sun can make your car’s paint fade or lose its shine over time, similar to how it affects furniture or house paint. By sealing the paint and preventing oxidation, ceramic coating safeguards your car from UV rays and the sun. This is particularly crucial if your car is parked outside frequently or all the time.
Additionally, ceramic coating provides protection against air pollution, which slowly damages your car even without you realizing it. This is especially important in big cities and has become even more crucial lately due to increasing air pollution levels.
Another wonderful perk of ceramic coating is how much easier it makes cleaning your car. This is because the coating repels water, making it hydrophobic. Any watery substances like mud that stick to your car will easily slide off! This is especially handy when you compare it to the more challenging cleaning process for cars with wax coatings.
What Causes Your Ceramic Car Coating to Wear Out Quickly
Ceramic coating is a valuable investment for your car, and you want it to stay effective for a long time. To make it last as long as possible, you should avoid things that could wear it out too quickly. Here are some factors that might cause your coating to wear out faster and need replacement:
- Extreme weather conditions: If you drive in places with really hot or cold weather, your car’s materials will expand and shrink a lot. This can create tiny cracks on the ceramic surface, letting water in and causing rust.
- Harsh chemicals: Using strong soaps, waxes, or other products can act like rough sandpaper, slowly damaging the coating over time. This weakens its ability to keep water out, so use gentle products.
- Incorrect washing technique: When washing a car with ceramic coating, it’s important to follow the two-bucket method. This minimizes the chances of scratching the coating and helps it last longer. Also, avoid washing your car in direct sunlight.
- Avoid polishing: Don’t polish ceramic coatings, as this reduces their effectiveness in repelling water and protecting against rust.
Ways to Make Your Car Ceramic Coating Last Longer
It might sound surprising, but there are actions you can take to make your coating last longer by several years! By following these tips, you can make the most out of your investment, which used to be quite costly:
- Wash your car frequently using clean water only. Less dirt and grime on your car’s surface means both the paint and coating will stay in better shape.
- Skip using a machine polisher. Instead, go for the two-bucket method and stick with it!
- Try to avoid driving in extremely hot or cold weather whenever you can. It’s not worth risking damage to your coating for a short trip. Wait for milder temperatures before heading out if possible!
To Sum It Up!
You might be curious about how long does ceramic coating last. With the right care, ceramic coating can endure anywhere from two to five years. Car wax only holds up for eight to twelve weeks, while ceramic coating can last for five to seven years.
To ensure that ceramic coating reaches its maximum lifespan of three to five years, it requires proper maintenance. Given that ceramic coating can be quite pricey, it’s a smart move to learn how to care for it correctly before you decide to get it. This way, you’ll get the most value for your money.
One of the most vital steps in extending the life of ceramic coating is allowing it time to cure, which takes around two to three weeks. During this curing period, the coating sets, and you need to be cautious and protective. Using covered parking is crucial while the ceramic coating is curing. This is because if anything like mud or bird droppings lands on your car, it can embed into the ceramic coating and become difficult to remove.
Another essential practice to maintain the longevity of ceramic coating is regular cleaning. Although ceramic coating offers advantages over wax or paint protection film, it still needs cleaning. Neglecting regular cleaning will lead to a gradual loss of shine as the surface becomes contaminated. Cleaning your car every seven days is recommended. Handwashing your car is a great approach to help the ceramic coating last, and using microfiber cloths while doing so is even better.
Remember that keeping the ceramic coating intact on your vehicle involves having your car detailed, approximately every six months. When you schedule a detailing appointment, ensure that the shop is aware of your car’s ceramic coating so they can provide proper care. While you might consider cheaper DIY options from stores, it’s not advisable. Investing in the proper care for your vehicle is worth it in the long run.